Nursing Skills Virtual Workshop
Registration Deadline: July 28, 2020
Limited capacity: 48 people
Session #1: Medication Reconciliation & Anaphylaxis Management
Presented by: Jill Wall and Steve LaFond
- Identify client characteristics that place them at risk for medication error.
- Identify high-risk medications that inherently increase risk for medication error/significant harm to client.
- Identify ten rights of medication administration.
- Describe the process for medication reconciliation: verification, clarification, and reconciliation.
- Identify areas of medication education for clients/caregivers to improve adherence.
- Describe various medication dispensing systems.
- Identify anaphylaxis signs and symptoms.
- Identify medications that could limit effectiveness of epinephrine.
- Demonstrate correct administration of Epinephrine: (EpiPen/AUVI-Q).
Session #2: IV Therapy Skills for Home Care
Presented by: Doreen Carson and Melissa Nuanez
- Identify common intravenous therapies, indications for therapy, methods of delivery, infusion equipment and their appropriate use.
- Identify the different types of peripheral and central venous access devices and the appropriate use of each type of device.
- Perform an assessment on a central venous access device.
- Demonstrate a dressing change, a needleless connector change, and flushing procedure on a central venous access device.
- Identify complications and troubleshooting strategies related to peripheral and central venous access devices.
Session #3: Hi - Fi Simulations: 5 Year Old with Obstructed Trach Tube & Infant with Seizure
Presented by: Bruce Estrem, Alison Flemke, Avery McClain
- Identify the symptoms of an obstructed trach tube.
- List the steps included in "BIBS”.
- Identify seizures in an infant.
- Describe seizure protocols.
Session #4: Respiratory: Tips on Using CPAP/Bilevel Masks and Oxygen Tanks in the Home
Presented by: Bri Schimelpfenig and Mary Wightman
- Discuss use and benefits of CPBI.
- Understand different mask styles and their attributes.
- Know how to place the mask on and remove from the patient.
- Be aware of the things to monitor on a patient using a CPBI mask.
- Understand proper cleaning and care of the CPBI mask.
- Discuss medical use of oxygen.
- Learn the parts of an oxygen tank.
- Be comfortable with using an oxygen tank properly.
- Be aware of oxygen safety recommendations.
- Understand oxygen delivery supplies.
Session #5: Enteral Basics
Presented by: Katie Dahlberg and Nicole Schuman
- Identify different types of feeding tubes.
- Describe functions of a feeding pump.
- Describe how to replace a low-profile feeding tube.
- Describe how to place and care for a nasogastric tube.
- Identify legacy vs. ENFit feeding connections.
- Describe how to use Farrell Valve bag.
Click here to view.
|Tuesday, August 4, 2020
| 8:00 a.m.
| 9:15 a.m.
| 10:25 a.m.
| Wednesday, August 5, 2020
| 8:00 a.m.
| 9:15 a.m.
| 10:25 a.m.
Supplemental online education will be included with registration. Up to 11 free CEUS available.
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS
This program has been designed to meet the continuing education requirements for the Minnesota Board of Nursing for 5.0 contact hours.
WHAT'S A WEBINAR?
Enjoy the convenience and cost-efficiency of a webinar – watch the speaker’s slide presentation on the internet while listening by telephone or through your computer’s microphone and speakers (VoIP). There is no limit to the number of attendees from your agency who may participate at your site using one phone line and a computer with internet access.
Prior to the webinar, a Zoom Webinar link will be e-mailed to you. You will need to click on this link to access the webinar, a dial-in number and an access code to listen in via telephone. You will also be sent any pertinent handouts if available, the sign-in sheet, and evaluation link.
There will not be a recording offered for this education.
EDUCATION PAYMENT POLICY
Non-Members – Payment in full is required upon registration.
Members – Outstanding invoices 30 days after an event date will incur a $25 late fee per registration.
Registrations may not be shared between agencies or multiple people. The agency’s registration covers the access of only one phone line/computer access to the webinar. Multiple site/person participation for your agency will require a separate registration fee for each connection. Please note: if your agency has sent in 1 registration but 3 people from your agency register through the Zoom link, your agency will be invoiced for the additional 2 registrations. The handouts will be emailed to you to the email address you provide. Please feel free to provide an additional email address as a backup.
Cancellations must be in writing and received by MHCA on or before Tuesday, July 28, 2020 to receive a refund less a $25 cancellation fee (per registration). No refunds for cancellations made after the cancellation deadline or for no-shows.
Handouts and related materials will be sent to you shortly before the program to the email address you provide.
Please contact Melissa Stenberg, MHCA Education Manager at (651) 635-0923 or MSTENBERG@MNHOMECARE.ORG